Calculate weigh by object

Hello,

If their is more than one object in the view port it seems that the weight command calculates the total weigh of all of the objects. I do not see how I can calculate the weight of just say one out of two or two out of three objects weight. etc. I tried just selecting a single object then run the weight command, but the weight command still calculated the total weight of all of the objects.

Thank you,

Andy

Running Shapes for Rhino 7; 3.0.0.6

In the command line it reads: Loading 2Shapes Design for Rhino 3.0.0.6 when I first start the program.

To obtain the weight of just 1 obj when there are several objs in the view port - select all the objects you DON’T want included in the calculation and “hide them”. Then do the weight command. The weight will only be calculated for the visible obj. You can also place the objs in different layers and turn the layers off/on.

Hello Mary,

Yes two workarounds and they suffice but if there was a way to obtain the weight of a single or a set of objects in the view port without these workarounds that would be nice because there is some “overhead” to them i.e. In my experience, this is true if you are turning off and then back on layers. There can be some lag. I do not use hide much at this stage.

And the real utility I believe is in being able to quickly compare weights of objects while being able to see everything in the view port.

So I was just wondering if there were already options in the command for obtaining weights this way that I did not know about. But if for this functionality new programing into the command is necessary then it certainly can just be added to the “wish list”.

Thank you,

Andy

Hi,

Another work around which is more complicated - type in volume on the command line. Pick whatever obj(s) you want. Set the command for centimeters and the vol will be in cubic centimeters. You can compare the values among the objs. To determine the weights you will have to find a table on line for specific gravity of metals. Then it is a simple multiplication. Maybe Xavier or Rafael can add a fix to their program.
You might also try - “lock” the items - they will be visible on the viewport but cannot be altered or accessed until they are “unlocked”. These commands are on the middle mouse button, upper left in the circle diagram.

Hello Mary,

Trying to lock the layer(s) is a great idea. However this did not work. One would imagine that the data to calculate the weights for the amalgam / metals 2Shapes offers is already there. With a metal mixture I suspect the math gets trickier?

Thank you,

Andy

Sorry, I did not mean lock the “layer”. Just select the obj(s) in the VIEW PORT that you don’t want included in the weight and lock them. The calc should be only for the “unlocked” ones. This method will allow you to see all the objs in the view port. You can select all and then deselect just the obj you want unlocked by pressing the control key and left click your mouse.
NOTE: you can hide a layer - click on the light bulb and that works. Yes, locking a layer doesn’t work.
There are standard metal mixtures which should get “close enough” to meaningful values. If you have an exotic metal, then I also would not expect 2shapes to have the data.

Hello Mary,

Thank you for the clarification and I tried as you suggested but this did not work either.

Thank you,

Andy

You are right! Locking doesn’t do anything. The only way is to “Hide” the objects either in the view port or by turning off the light bulb in the panel. Maybe Rafa can add locked objs to the do not include in weight section.
A more complicated method - volume - e.g. determine the vol of 3 objs and each one individually.
When you get the wt for all 3 objs you can determine each one individually using the percentage of the volume they contribute to the total volume. After all this, it is easier to just HIDE the objs you don’t want weighed.
There is also getting 2shapes to determine the weights of only selected items which is what you wanted to begin with. My suggested work arounds should enable you to go proceed for the time being. Good luck. Mary

Hello Mary,

Thank you; Yes the workarounds are clear.

Thank you,

Andy