GRID SETTINGS - Custom to my preference?

Hello Rafael,

I was just wondering if your team had a chance to look at the GRID settings.

I would like to be able to select the GRID settings as to my preference and have the setting stay set each time I open 2 shapes for Rhino.

Currently each time I change the grid setting it reverts back to the system setting. Even while I am working working on a model.

I have tried to change this in SETTING drop down menu as well as in each view port.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Cheers H

Hi,

Let me check and I will let you know.

Thanks,

Rafa

Hi Heather,

The grid settings are associated with the file, as are all the other settings in the Document Properties section. Therefore, it you want to have your settings stick, you need to save your blank file (after changing the grid settings) as template and then use this template when you open a new file.

John,

I have tried this even with Rafael and it does not stick. I tried creating a template .3dm and opening in 2 shapes and the grid always reverts back. :frowning:

Heather, I was referring to the behavior of template files in Rhino GUI. If the grid gets reset in the 2Shapes for Rhino GUI, then it must be a bug there.

1 Like

Hi Heather,

I was checking a lot, and I created a video step by step. 2Shapes is not modifying the grid extension, for that reason, I think maybe is something wrong with your 3dm template.

Just to do the test, open a new document without template, and follow these two steps:

Please let me know the results.

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael del Molino
2Shapes Technologies SLU

Hi,

I forgot! To create an empty template, just type the command New and click the No Template button.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael del Molino

Hi Rafa,

I tested it in the 2Shapes GUI and it looks like the adaptive grid size interferes with the grid Snap Spacing. For example, when I set the Snap Spacing to 0.5 mm, after I zoom in and out, this spacing reverts to 1 mm.
In most cases I prefer to have the fixed grid size and snap spacing, as it allows us to know the distances based on the grid size. With the adaptive grid first we have to determine what grid size we a looking at (depending on the zoom) before we can tell the distances based on it.
It should be possible to turn off the adaptive grid.

Good Afternoon Rafael,

I did redo the template as per your video and the grid still reverts when I start to work on the model.
I just sent you a video by email to show you what I am talking about. When I select to work in the top viewport it reverts to the 5 x 5 grid in both the perspective viewport and the front view port.

Please let me know if I can try something else.

Also is the size 8 glitch being fixed in the next update?

Thank you
H

Hi Heather,

Just to close the post, I was connected to Heather’s computer and it worked, but after some hours the grid settings have been changed. I will ask McNeel developers if Rhino is changing something we can not control.

Thanks,

Rafael

2 Likes

Rafael,

Thank you for helping me with this. !!! Much Appreciated!!